back to miltonmorris.com

Friday, June 10, 2011

Deardorff 11x14


This photograph is part of a collection of large format portraits that I have been creating over the last few years. The subject is Mitch Brantley, a falconer. I photographed Mr. Brantley for a magazine a few months ago. I decided he and "Mad Max" would make a great addition to the collection, so I returned to the same field off an interstate highway to shoot with my 11x14 Deardorff.

Despite the strong winds, I was able to set up a 12 x 12 Matthews overhead frame to soften the late afternoon sun. I positioned a large Chimera on camera left as my main light and a 22" silver beauty dish (no diffusion and no grid) on camera right as the fill. I placed two flash heads with silver reflectors behind Mr. Brantley (and slightly to each side) to provide a bit of separation light.

I used a 480mm Schneider lens on the Deardorff and shot 10 sheets of Kodak 8x10 Tri-X.

Here is a diagram of the set up:




Here are a few behind the scenes photos:










No comments:

Post a Comment