back to miltonmorris.com

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Golf Business

Client: Golf Business Magazine
Editor: Ronnie Musselwhite
Graphic Designer: Dave Alexander

Golf Business has been a client for many years. Ronnie Musselwhite asked me to photograph Todd Miller and Victor Grubb. Both men are head golf professionals. Since their courses are relatively close together, I scheduled both shoots for the same day.

The weather did not cooperate for an outside shoot with either subject. For the following shots of Mr. Miller, we were inside a villa located on the property.



For this image, I positioned a 22" silver beauty dish with 15 degree grid on camera right to light Mr. Miller's face. A medium Chimera over the camera provided a slight fill. On camera left and slightly behind the subject, I placed a small Chimera strip. Finally, I boomed a head with a 30 degree grid over the set to light the painting on the wall. The camera was a Canon 5dII with a 50mm f/1.4 lens.



The second image is very simple. I positioned Mr. Miller just a couple feet away from a plain wall, then boomed a medium Chimera over him, just out of view. I used a Canon 7D and a 24-70mm f/2.8 lens.

When I arrived for the shoot with Victor Grubb, it was still raining so we ended up shooting in a meeting area in the club house.



For the main, I used a large Chimera on camera right with a 22" white beauty dish with 30 degree grid boomed over the camera for fill. Two small Chimeras provided separation lights on either side of Mr. Grubb. Finally I positioned a head with a 40 degree grid and red filter to light the gray wall in the background. I used a Canon 5dII and a 24-70 f/2.8 lens.




To give the Ronnie and Dave another choice, I also produced this image. Mr. Grubb is sitting at a table in front of a sliding glass door. I was able to use the soft, diffused light coming through the glass to light Mr. Grubb. A small silver card provided fill. Even though I was shooting at 1/60 at f/3.2 with a Canon 5dII and a 50mm f/1.4 lens, I still needed an ISO of 1000 to make the shot happen. Although I love my film, you can't beat digital's ability to perform at high ISO's.

No comments:

Post a Comment